Vitamin D (By mouth)
Vitamin D (VYE-ta-min D)
Maintains calcium and phosphorus in your body and makes your bones strong. This medicine is a vitamin.
Carlson Vitamin D, Carlson Vitamin D3, Delta D3, Dialyvite Vitamin D3 Max, Drisdol, Mason Natural D2000, Mason Natural Vitamin D, Nature's Blend Super Strength Vitamin D3, Nature's Blend Vitamin D, Nature's Blend Vitamin D3, PharmAssure Vitamin D-3, Rite Aid Vitamin D-3, Sundown Naturals Vitamin D3, The Medicine Shoppe Natural Vitamin D, Thera-D 2000There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vitamin D.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney stones, sarcoidosis, or overactive parathyroid gland.
- You should not use this medicine if you are under 18 years of age.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Weight loss.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/4/2015
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.