Adsorbent for poisoning (By mouth)
Treats certain types of poisonings.
Actidose-Aqua, EZ-Char, Kerr Insta-CharThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients listed on the package label.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Granule, Powder, Liquid, Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Take this medicine at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after you eat a meal or take any other medicine.
- Liquid: You may need to shake the product container for at least 30 seconds before use.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Many other drugs can interact with this medicine. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any digestive problems such as a bowel obstruction or constipation.
- Tell your doctor if you have a fructose (fruit sugar) allergy. This medicine may contain a sweetener that can cause an allergic reaction if you have a fructose allergy.
- Do not use this medicine to treat poisoning unless you are told to do so by a doctor or poison control center. This product can be dangerous if it is not used correctly. Do not give this medicine to a person who is not fully awake.
- Some forms of this product should not be given to a child younger than 1 year. Do not give this product to a child who is younger than 12 years, unless your doctor tells you to.
- Drink plenty of liquids to help avoid constipation.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- New or worsening abdominal pain, or severe constipation
- Severe diarrhea
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dark or black stools
- Dark urine, or urinating less often than usual
- Nausea or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.