Antipyrine/benzocaine (Into the ear)
Antipyrine (an-tee-PYE-reen), Benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane)
Treats pain, swelling, and pressure of middle ear infections.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to antipyrine or benzocaine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Wash your hands. Warm the drops by holding the unopened bottle in your hands for a few minutes.
- Remove the cap but never touch the dropper tip to your ear or to anything else.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. Gently pull the earlobe down and back (for children) or up and back (for adults) to straighten the ear canal.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the ear. Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes or put a cotton ball into your ear.
- Replace the bottle cap and wash your hands again.
- Do not wash the dropper. Put it back in the bottle as soon as you are done with it.
If a dose is missed:
- Use your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep the bottle closed when you are not using it. Store it at room temperature, away from light and heat.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use other ear medicines while using this medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Check with your doctor before using this medicine if you have a punctured eardrum or any other ear problems.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Itching or burning in ear
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.