Antitussive/expectorant (By mouth)
Treats a dry, irritated cough caused by the flu or the common cold.
Adult DM Maximum, Allfen-DM, Cheracol D, Cheracol Plus, Chest Congestion Relief DM, Children's Delsym Cough + Chest Congestion DM, Children's Mucinex Cough, Children's Mucus Relief Cough, Children's Triaminic Cough & Congestion, Congesta DM, Coricidin HBP, Cough Control DM, Cough Control DM Max, Delsym Cough + Chest Congestion DM, Diabetic Tussin DMThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any cough or cold medicine. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid, Tablet, Long Acting Tablet, Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, 12 Hour Tablet, Long Acting Capsule, 12 Hour Capsule, Lozenge
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. You might need to shake the medicine before you use it.
- Swallow the capsule or tablet whole, unless the directions say otherwise. Do not break, crush, or chew it, unless the directions say you can break or open it.
- Place the lozenge in your mouth and let it melt slowly. Do not swallow the lozenge whole.
- This medicine is supposed to help loosen phlegm and thin mucus in the lungs. Drink extra fluids, and keep the air around you moist with a humidifier or steam vaporizer.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using sleeping pills, sedatives, other cold and allergy medicines, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, or pain pills before you use this medicine.
- You should not use with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors such as Nardil®, Parnate®, Eldepryl®, or Marplan® without your doctor's approval.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Talk to your doctor if you have asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, or a liver disease before you take this medicine.
- Some liquid cough medicines contain alcohol.
- Call your doctor if your cough does not improve or lasts longer than 7 days.
- Call your doctor if your cough gets worse, if you cough up yellow mucus, or if you have a fever, rash, sore throat, vomiting, or continuing headache with the cough.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trouble breathing
- Trouble urinating
- Changes in the amount of urine
- Severe drowsiness
- Rash or itching
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness, dizziness
- Nervousness, restlessness
- Upset stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.