Benzocaine (By mouth)
Relieves mouth pain. Also numbs the mouth and throat before a medical or dental procedure.
Anbesol, Anbesol Maximum Strength, Baby Care Oral Pain Relief, Benz-O-Sthetic, Benzodent, Bi-Zets, Cankaid, Dent-O-Kain/20, Detane, Good Sense Oral Pain Relief, Hurricaine, Hurricaine One, Hurricaine Spray Kit, Leader Oral Analgesic Gel, Leader Oral Pain ReliefThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to benzocaine or other similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Powder for Suspension, Thin Sheet, Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Lozenge, Tablet, Ointment, Paste, Spray, Swab
- This medicine is not for long-term use. Do not use this medicine for longer than directed by your dentist or doctor.
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use, where to apply it, and how often to apply it. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. Too much of this medicine can cause serious side effects.
- Do not get this medicine into the eyes or in the area near the eyes.
- To use this medicine:
- Liquid or gel: Apply a small amount of this medicine on the affected gum area.
- Film: Make sure your fingers are dry before you touch the film. The film can be folded in half or left unfolded. Place the film in the mouth on the affected gum area. Allow the film to dissolve completely. Use only 1 film each time.
- Spray: A dentist, nurse, or other trained health professional will give you this medicine before a procedure.
- Swab: Hold the swab with the white tip down. Bend and snap open the swab tip at the colored rings. Use each swab only 1 time.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how benzocaine works. Tell your doctor if you are using products containing nitrates or nitrites.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have lung or breathing problems (including asthma, bronchitis, or emphysema), heart disease, or G6PD deficiency. Tell your doctor if you smoke.
- Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 2 years of age. This medicine should not be used for teething pain.
- This medicine may cause a rare but serious blood problem called methemoglobinemia. This condition may occur after use of the spray for medical procedures or use of the over-the-counter gel or liquid for mouth sores or teething in children.
- The liquid form of this medicine is flammable. Keep it away from heat or an open flame. Do not smoke while you are using this medicine.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, headache, lightheadedness, fast heartbeat or breathing
- Fever, swelling, or rash
- Increased pain, irritation, or redness
- Pale, gray, or blue skin, lips, or nails
- Unusual drowsiness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, pain, or swelling where the medicine is applied
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.