Beta carotene (By mouth)
Beta Carotene (bay-ta KAR-oh-teen)
Antioxidant. This medicine is a form of vitamin A.
A-Caro-25There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to beta carotene, or any of the other ingredients listed on the label. This medicine should not be given to a child under 18 years old, unless a doctor tells you to.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- If you are using this medicine without a doctor's order, follow the directions on the medicine label.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Missing one dose of vitamins is usually not a cause for concern.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you smoke or take alcohol daily.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Changes in your skin color.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 12/4/2017
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.