Brigatinib (By mouth)
Treats non-small cell lung cancer.
Alunbrig, Alunbrig Initiation PackThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to brigatinib or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Do not take the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. If you vomit after taking your medicine, call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how brigatinib works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, conivaptan, phenytoin, rifampin, or St John's wort
- Antibiotic medicine (including clarithromycin)
- Birth control pills
- Medicine to treat fungus infection (including itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole)
- Medicine to treat virus infection (including boceprevir, cobicistat, indinavir, lopinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir)
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- This medicine may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. Women should use effective birth control during treatment and for at least 4 months after the last dose. Men should use effective birth control during treatment and for at least 3 months after the last dose.
- Do not breastfeed while you are taking this medicine and for at least 1 week after your last dose.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, lung or breathing problems, diabetes, or high blood pressure.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Interstitial lung disease or pneumonitis
- High blood pressure
- Slow heartbeat
- Eye or vision problems
- Muscle problems
- Pancreatitis (swelling of the pancreas)
- High blood sugar
- Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
- This medicine could cause infertility. Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you plan to have children.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision
- Confusion, sweating, increased hunger, thirst, or urination
- Fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness
- Trouble breathing, chest pain, fever, chills, cough
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.