Cefpodoxime proxetil (By mouth)
Cefpodoxime Proxetil (sef-poe-DOX-eem PROX-e-til)
Treats bacterial infections. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to cephalosporin medicine such as Keflex®, Ceclor®, Velosef®, or Suprax®.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Keep taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to stop, even if you feel better. If you stop taking this medicine too soon, your infection may come back.
- Take cefpodoxime with food.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before using. Measure your medicine with a measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep your tablets at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.Keep the oral liquid in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused liquid that is more than 14 days old.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking birth control pills or probenecid (Benemid®, ColBENEMID®) while taking cefpodoxime.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Before taking this medicine, let your doctor know if you have ever had an allergic reaction to penicillin medicines, or if you have stomach or kidney problems.
- If you have severe diarrhea while taking cefpodoxime, check with your doctor before taking medicine to stop the diarrhea.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Rash, hives, or blistering of the skin
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
- Severe stomach pain, vomiting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea
- Sore mouth or tongue
- Vaginal itching or discharge
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.