Chloramphenicol (By injection)
Treats serious infections caused by bacteria. This medicine is an antibiotic.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to chloramphenicol.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how chloramphenicol works. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you are taking, especially any medicines that may weaken your immune system, such as cancer medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- This medicine may cause a life-threatening condition called gray syndrome in newborns and infants. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about this condition.
- Do not use this medicine to treat or prevent any condition that has not been checked by your doctor.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- Severe headache, depression, or confusion
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.