Cod liver oil (By mouth)
Cod Liver Oil (kod LI-ver oyl)
Provides vitamin A and vitamin D to maintain healthy bones, skin, eyes, and immune system.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to cod liver oil or to fish, or if you are younger than 18 years of age.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Do not use this medicine if the seal is broken.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- A blood thinner, such as warfarin
- Hormone medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have heart or liver disease, diabetes, a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia, kidney stones, an overactive parathyroid, or sarcoidosis.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.