Crotalidae immune f(ab)2 (equine) (By injection)
Crotalidae Immune F(ab)2 (Equine) (kroe-TAL-i-dee i-MUNE fab 2 (EE-kwyne))
Treats symptoms caused by a North American rattlesnake bite.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to crotalidae immune F(ab)2 (equine).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you had an allergic reaction to horses, horse blood products, or cresol.
- This medicine may cause a serious allergic reaction called serum sickness.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Itching skin or rash, joint or muscle pain, fever
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Red or dark brown urine or stools
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 12/4/2017
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.