Cyclosporine (Into the eye)
Treats chronic dry eye.
Restasis, Restasis MultidoseThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to cyclosporine.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Mixture, Drop
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Turn the package upside down a few times to mix the medicine before you use it. Use the medicine right away after you open the package.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- To use the eye drops:
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye.
- Wait at least 15 minutes before you use other lubricant eye drops (such as artificial tears).
- If you wear contact lenses, take them out before you use this medicine. Wait at least 15 minutes before you put your contact lenses back in.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have an eye infection.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision or other changes in vision
- Feeling like something is in your eye
- Mild, brief burning in your eyes
- Red, watery, or itchy eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.