Dalfampridine (By mouth)
Improves walking in patients who have multiple sclerosis.
AmpyraThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to dalfampridine or similar medicines, or if you have moderate or severe kidney disease or a history of seizures.
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Wait about 12 hours between each dose. This medicine works best if you take it at evenly spaced times.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it. Also, do not dissolve the medicine. If you have trouble swallowing the tablet whole, tell your doctor.
- Missed dose: If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, skip the missed dose. Take your next dose at the next regular time. Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- Never take more than 2 tablets in a 24-hour period.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not take dalfampridine together with a similar medicine, including fampridine.
- Some medicines can affect how dalfampridine works. Tell your doctor if you are taking cimetidine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Urinary tract infections
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or cloudy urine
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Pain when you urinate, trouble urinating
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness, headache
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.