Daptomycin (By injection)
Treats infections. This medicine is an antibiotic.
Cubicin, Cubicin RF, PremierPro Rx Cubicin RFThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to daptomycin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. This medicine is given slowly, so the needle will remain in place for about 30 minutes.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how daptomycin works. Tell your doctor if you are using medicine to lower cholesterol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, muscle problems, nerve problems, or if you are on dialysis.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Severe diarrhea
- Eosinophilic pneumonia
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Muscle problems that can lead to kidney problems
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine. Diarrhea may occur 2 months or more after your treatment ends.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Decrease in how often or how much you urinate
- Chest pain, cough, fever, trouble breathing
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or cramping
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Sore throat
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.