Mineral oil (By mouth)
Mineral Oil (MIN-er-al oyl)
Good Sense Mineral Oil, Leader Mineral Oil, Quality Choice Mineral Oil, Sunmark Mineral Oil, Swan Mineral OilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to mineral oil. You should not use this medicine if you are pregnant or bedridden, or if you have trouble swallowing. You should not give this medicine to a child under 6 years of age.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine is to be taken as needed. Follow the directions on the package.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Ask your doctor before using this medicine if you are also using other treatments for constipation, such as a stool softener.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have severe stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have had a sudden change in your bowel movements that has lasted for more than 2 weeks.
- You should not use this laxative for longer than 1 week unless approved by your doctor. Laxatives may be habit-forming and can harm your bowels if you use them too long.
- You may not see results from this medicine for 6 to 8 hours after you use it.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor if you have any blood in your stool, bleeding from your rectum, or if you are still unable to have a bowel movement.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.