Naldemedine (By mouth)
Treats constipation caused by narcotic pain medicine.
SymproicThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to naldemedine, or if you have a bowel blockage.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how naldemedine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Amiodarone, aprepitant, atazanavir, captopril, carbamazepine, clarithromycin, cyclosporine, diltiazem, erythromycin, fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, phenytoin, quercetin, quinidine, rifampin, ritonavir, saquinavir, St John's wort, or verapamil
- Narcotic pain medicines
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or stomach or bowel problems (including Crohn's disease, Ogilvie syndrome, diverticulitis, or stomach or bowel cancer).
- This medicine may cause a tear in your stomach or bowels.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Increased sweating, chills, feeling cold, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting
- Severe stomach pain
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stomach pain, diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.