Papaverine (By injection)
Treats angina, heart problems, and blood vessel problems by relaxing muscles and blood vessels. Also used to relax other muscles, such as the ones in the digestive system.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not receive this medicine if you have heart rhythm problems. You should not use this medicine if you have trouble having sex (in men).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and how often you should receive this medicine.
- This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins or as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have glaucoma or liver disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark colored urine.
- Fast heartbeat.
- Severe diarrhea, vomiting, or stomach pain.
- Yellowing of the skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, nausea, mild abdominal pain, or loss of appetite.
- Drowsiness or dizziness.
- Headache, body aches, sweating, or weakness.
- Pain, itching, burning, or swelling under your skin where the medicine was given.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.