Pentoxifylline (By mouth)
Treats problems from poor blood circulation by improving the flow of blood through blood vessels.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to pentoxifylline or to related drugs, such as theophylline or caffeine. You should not use this medicine if you have had recent retina (eye) surgery.
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Swallow tablets whole.
- Take your medicine with meals to avoid stomach upset.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, light, and moisture.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking Coumadin®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before taking pentoxifylline if you have liver or kidney disease.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- You may need to take this medicine for several weeks before it starts to help.
- Avoid smoking or using other tobacco products, because nicotine narrows your blood vessels and can make your pain worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, indigestion, vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.