Plecanatide (By mouth)
Treats chronic idiopathic constipation and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation.
TrulanceThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to plecanatide, or if you have a bowel or stomach blockage. Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 6 years old.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- If you have trouble swallowing the tablet, you may mix the contents with applesauce or water.
- To mix with applesauce: Crush the tablet to a powder and mix with 1 teaspoonful of applesauce. Swallow the mixture immediately without chewing. Do not store it for later use.
- To mix with water: Place the tablet in a clean cup and pour 30 milliliters (mL) of water on it. Mix by gently swirling the tablet and water mixture in the cup for at least 10 seconds. Swallow the entire mixture immediately. If any portion of the tablet is left in the cup, add another 30 mL of water to the cup and swirl for at least 10 seconds. Drink the water right away to make sure all of the medicine is taken. Do not store it for later use.
- The water mixture may also be used with a nasogastric or gastric feeding tube. After the mixture is given, flush the tube with an additional 30 mL of water.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep the medicine in a dry place. Protect from moisture. Keep the tablets in the original bottle until you are ready to use it. The bottle contains a desiccant packet that helps protect the tablets from moisture. Do not remove the packet from the bottle.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other stomach or bowel problems.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe diarrhea
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.