Protamine sulfate (By injection)
Protamine Sulfate (PROE-ta-meen SUL-fate)
Treats heparin (an anticoagulant) overdose.
PremierPro Rx Protamine Sulfate, Protamine Sulfate NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not be given this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to protamine sulfate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using any injectable cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotics, such as cefazolin (Ancef®), cefoperazone, cefuroxime, or penicillin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Make sure your doctor knows if you are allergic to fish, or if you have ever been given protamine sulfate before.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have diabetes, or if you have ever used insulin containing protamine, such as insulin lispro, Humalog®, Novolog®, or Novolin®. Make sure your doctor knows if you are an infertile (unable to have children) man, or if you have had a vasectomy.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe circulatory (blood flow) or heart problems.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Difficulty breathing.
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting.
- Feeling unusually tired.
- Flushing of your skin, or feeling unusually warm.
- Nausea, or vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.