Salicylic acid/sulfur (On the skin)
Salicylic Acid (sal-i-SIL-ik AS-id), Sulfur (SUL-fur)
Controls itching, irritation, or flaking of your scalp due to dandruff. Also treats acne and oily skin.
Scalacort DK, Sebex, ala sebThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to salicylic acid or sulfur.
How to Use This Medicine:
Shampoo, Lotion, Soap, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- To use the shampoo: Shake the bottle well before use. Wet your hair and scalp thoroughly with lukewarm water. Work the shampoo into a lather and leave the lather on scalp for 5 minutes. Rinse your hair thoroughly. Wash your hair again and leave the shampoo on your scalp for another 5 minutes. Initially use daily, or every other day as directed by your doctor. Once symptoms are under control, use the shampoo once or twice a week, or as directed by your doctor.
- To use the skin cleansing lotion: After wetting the skin, apply this medicine with your fingertips or a wet sponge and rub in gently to work up a lather. Then rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.