Samarium sm 153 lexidronam pentasodium (By injection)
Samarium Sm 153 Lexidronam Pentasodium (sa-MARE-ee-um Sm 153 lex-ID-roe-nam pen-ta-SOE-dee-um)
Reduces pain caused by bone cancer.
QuadrametThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to samarium Sm 153 lexidronam or similar medicines, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- Drink plenty of fluids so you will pass more urine. This will help flush the medicine from your body.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are receiving medicines to treat cancer or radiation treatment.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- This medicine may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, heart rhythm problems, blood problems, bladder control problem, or a history of heart failure. Tell your doctor if you have an allergy to latex.
- You will be exposed to radiation when you are given this medicine. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this.
- This medicine may increase your risk for blood clots.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody urine
- Chest pain or tightness, trouble breathing, coughing up blood
- Fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Muscle cramps, bone problems
- Numbness or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea
- Pain, itching, burning, redness, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 12/4/2017
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.