Sincalide (By injection)
Helps diagnose problems of the gallbladder and pancreas. Also speeds up barium digestion to decrease radiation exposure during bowel examination.
KinevacThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to sincalide, or if you have bowel blockage.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine before you have your medical test done. It is given through a needle placed into one of your veins.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines may affect how sincalide works. Tell your doctor if you are using medicine that can increase or decrease your gallbladder motility (contraction).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant. This medicine may cause pre-term labor and pregnancy loss.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have gallbladder stones.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Sudden lower stomach cramping or unusual or heavy vaginal bleeding (in pregnant women)
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Feeling of warmth, redness of the skin
- Nausea, stomach pain or cramping, vomiting
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.