Sodium zirconium cyclosilicate (By mouth)
Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate (SOE-dee-um zir-KOE-nee-um sye-kloe-SIL-i-kate)
Treats hyperkalemia (high potassium levels in the blood).
LokelmaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- To use:
- Empty the contents of the packet into a glass filled with 3 tablespoons or more of water.
- Stir well and drink immediately.
- If some powder is still in the glass, add more water. Stir and drink it right away. Repeat as needed to make sure you get your full dose.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- This medicine may keep other medicines from working properly. Do not use sodium zirconium cyclosilicate within 2 hours before or after you take another oral medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, heart failure, bowel blockage, or other bowel movement problems (including constipation or impaction). Tell your doctor if you have had surgery for a bowel movement disorder.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.