Candidates for this study must meet the following criteria to be enrolled in the study:
1. Patient is between 18 and 75 years of age (inclusive).
2. Patient has a documented untreated intracranial saccular aneurysm 3-14 mm diameter
angiographic lumen, ruptured or unruptured, suitable for embolization with coils.
3. Patients presenting with a HUNT and HESS Grade 0-3 or improving to such a grade before
4. Any type of bare platinum coils and HydroCoil ® Coils are treatment options (all
5. Patient or next of kin or person with appropriate power of attorney has provided
written informed consent.
6. Patient is willing and available for study follow-up visits
7. Patient has not been previously entered into this Study
Candidates will be ineligible for enrollment in the study if any of the following
1. Inability to obtain informed consent
2. Patient is < 18 or > 75 years old
3. Target aneurysm is not saccular in nature (mycotic, fusiform, dissecting).
4. Target aneurysm is > 14 mm maximum luminal dimension, < 3 mm maximum luminal dimension
5. Target aneurysm has been previously clipped or coiled
6. Target aneurysm is in the physician's estimate unlikely to be successfully treated by
7. Patient has known hypersensitivity to platinum, nickel, stainless steel or
structurally related compounds found in HydroCoil®, HydroSoft®, HydroFrame® Coils
and/or bare platinum coils.
8. Baseline Hunt and Hess scale 4 or 5 for ruptured aneurysms
9. Intended use of a flow diverting stent (e.g. pipeline)
10. Subject has concurrent intracranial pathology, e.g.
- Vasculitis documented by biopsy results
- AV fistulas
- Significant atherosclerotic disease (i.e. symptomatic and or >50% narrowing of
the parent arteries necessary to traverse in order to coil the target aneurysm)
- Intracranial Hematoma (unrelated to the target aneurysm)
- Brain tumors
- Vascular tortuosity and other conditions preventing access to target aneurysm
11. Subject has serious co-morbidities that could confound the study results:
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- Uncorrectable coagulation abnormality
- Contraindications for heparin, aspirin or clopidogrel
- Uncontrolled Diabetes Mellitus
- Organ failure of kidney, liver, heart, or lung
- Myocardial infarction within the past 6 months
- Cancer likely to cause death within 2 years or less.
12. Subject history indicates high risk of non-compliance (e.g., substance abuse,
psychosocial issues, etc.)
13. Subject has a known history contraindicating contrast dye or iodine that cannot be
pre-medicated prior to coiling procedure (vs. sensitivity which can be safely
controlled by antihistamine, steroid, etc.). Medical clearance will be needed for this
14. Patients who are unable to complete scheduled follow up assessments at the enrolling
center due to limited life expectancy (<2 years), co-morbidities or geographical
15. Subject is currently breast feeding, pregnant or plans to become pregnant in the next
16. Major surgical procedure or trauma within 30 days prior to randomization
17. The patient is currently enrolled in another clinical study (device or drug).
18. More than one aneurysm needing treatment at the same time.
Eligibility CriteriaPhysical gender of individuals who may participate in the protocol.
Minimum and/or maximum age of participants.
Indicate if persons who have not had the condition(s) being studied or otherwise related conditions or symptoms, as specified in the eligibility requirements, may participate in the study.