Preparing for Safe Surgery Main Content
At Baptist Health, we are committed to your safety. Testing and self-isolation is required prior to surgery — even if you have no symptoms or reason to believe that you may be COVID-positive.
COVID-19 Testing & Safety Procedures
Patients must complete a COVID-19 test 4 days prior to their scheduled procedure.
- A physician order is required to perform a COVID-19 test
- After completing the COVID-19 screening, patients should self-isolate until the day of their surgery or procedure to prevent exposure
- Positive results will be called to the ordering physician, and the surgery or procedure will be canceled
- Visitors must follow our visitation policies (which includes limiting the number and ages of visitors)
- All patients and visitors will be required to wear a mask or face covering in accordance with CDC recommendations and Baptist Health’s masking policy
Pre-Procedure Testing Locations
For holiday hours, call 904.202.2000.
Preparing for Safe Surgery Additional Content Section 1
Self-Isolation Before Surgery
After testing, it is critical that you be prepared to self-isolate for up to 4 days (estimated time from test date until date results are received) to prevent exposure to COVID-19 prior to surgery.
For your safety, you must follow these best practices for self-isolation prior to your scheduled surgery.
- Stay home and limit movement outside of your home; those who live with you need to do the same
- Wash your hands often with soap and water
- Wear a cloth face covering when around others in your home
- Get rest
- Stay hydrated
- Monitor for fever and other COVID-19 symptoms, including cough and shortness of breath. Notify your doctor if you notice any changes in your health.
- Follow care instructions from your health care provider
- Avoid sharing personal household items including dishes, cups, towels and bedding
- Disinfect all frequently touched surfaces often (doorknobs, refrigerator door, cell phone, etc.)
- Use phone or virtual visits to stay in touch with family and friends
- Order groceries or needed items online and have them delivered to your home
- If you go for a walk or exercise outside, remain at least 6 feet away from others or wear a face covering if there is a chance you may be in an area where it is difficult to maintain distance.
✘ Visit the grocery store or run errands
✘ Visit in-person with family and friends