Wolfson Childrens Hospital opens new childrens emergency center at Baptist Medical Center South
Designed and staffed specifically for the unique needs of children, the new children’s ER brings award-winning pediatric care to southern Duval and northern St. Johns counties.
December 30, 2019 | Jacksonville, FL
Children and families in one of the fastest-growing areas of Northeast Florida now have access to top-ranked emergency care just for children, closer to home, with the opening of the new Wolfson Children’s Emergency Center at Baptist Medical Center South.
The 8,100-square-foot, full-service Wolfson Children’s Emergency Center is located adjacent to the existing adult emergency room at Baptist South. It has its own parking area, entrance, check-in and triage area, family restrooms and 12 exam rooms dedicated entirely to children and families.
The Wolfson Children’s Emergency Center at Baptist South is staffed by a team comprised of:
- Double-board-certified pediatric emergency physicians with Emergency Resources Group
- Pediatric-specific emergency nurses
- Pediatric respiratory therapists
- Pediatric-trained radiologic technologists
The team is connected 24/7 with the larger team of pediatric emergency and pediatric specialty physicians at the main Wolfson Children’s Hospital campus. To ensure the safest care, this new Wolfson Children’s ER is outfitted with technology and equipment specifically designed for children of all ages and sizes.
“To be a true ‘pediatric emergency center,’ you have to go a lot further than just putting those three words on a building,” said Michael D. Aubin, FACHE, president of Wolfson Children’s Hospital. “It takes a team of experts specially trained in children’s health care, along with equipment and facilities meant specifically for children. We know parents want access to Wolfson Children’s Hospital care because it gives them peace of mind when minutes matter in an emergency. So we’re really proud to extend our specialized emergency care to children and families in this rapidly growing area.”
Baptist South Hospital President Nicole Thomas said, “Having a Wolfson Children’s ER here on our campus is a tremendous advantage to our local community. It means that families will have access to the expertise of a top-ranked children’s hospital without having to travel far.”
Wolfson Children’s Hospital is consistently ranked among U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals and was recently named one of just 10 Top Children’s Hospitals in the country by the Leapfrog Group.
“Emergency Resources Group (ERG) is excited to continue our 42-year partnership with Baptist Health and Wolfson Children’s Hospital,” said Matthew Rill, MD, chief executive officer of Emergency Resources Group. “ERG has the largest group of double-boarded pediatric emergency medicine physicians in the region and currently supports Wolfson Children’s Pediatric Trauma Center, as well as all of the Wolfson Children’s satellite emergency centers. Together with the Wolfson Children’s team, we provide the best, evidence-based care for the children of Northeast Florida and beyond. We also pride ourselves on innovation and have developed systems to help children see a physician quickly on arrival, as well as offering telemedicine services to augment care on site.”
Family-friendly amenities at the Wolfson Children’s Emergency Center at Baptist Medical - - Center South include:
- Design based on feedback in focus groups with local parents.
- A kid-friendly, ocean-theme that flows throughout the facility with beautiful and calming sea animals incorporated into the decor.
- A unique fish sculpture that welcomes visitors outside the main entrance, consisting of six distinct groups totaling 219 fish. The sculpture is made of stainless steel and the fish have been coated with blue and turquoise colors. The artist behind this signature piece is Donald Gialanella.
- An interactive play area in the waiting area where children can “color” large ocean-themed pictures.
- iPads filled with apps for entertainment purposes in each room.
- A designated Child Life Specialist to help distract and calm children through play.
This is the sixth Wolfson Children’s Emergency Center in Northeast Florida.