We’re expecting! Renovation of maternity suites to be delivered on the Baptist Jacksonville campus
Meaningful renovations for a family’s most memorable moment
February 13, 2019 | Jacksonville, FL
A comprehensive renovation of Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville’s maternity suites has commenced, providing new mothers with the highest level of care in a soothing and comfortable birthing environment. The $16 million project is expected to be complete in early 2020.
“For decades, Baptist Health has been the number-one choice of mothers to have their babies,” said Michael Mayo, FACHE, Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville hospital president. “Now at Baptist Jacksonville, we’ll have a redesigned space for our moms and families that’s as impressive as our state-of-the-art care.”
A Family Advisory Group, comprised of moms and expectant moms, were central to the design process and provided valuable insight as to what features and amenities in maternity suites were most important to young families.
Every maternity suite will provide a serene, hotel-like environment with décor and amenities designed to enhance the patient and visitor experience. The rooms will be equipped with the latest labor and delivery technology for mothers to have the option of “rooming-in” – allowing the baby to be cared for in the mother’s suite after birth. As always, the specialized resources of Wolfson Children’s Hospital’s neonatal care will only be steps away, if needed.
A redesigned entrance on the first floor will provide expectant mothers with seamless check-in and evaluation, efficiently minimizing patient wait times and allowing mothers in labor to be seen quickly. In addition, the comprehensive maternity suite renovations will include updated birthing suites, postpartum suites and a nursery. Additional features of the project will include:
- Multiple TVs in each suite to accommodate moms and their family members and visitors
- Comfortable sleeper sofas for family
- Specialized furnishing designed to support maternal bonding and breastfeeding
- Private bathrooms with ample storage for personal belongings
- A variety of meal options for the mother and her spouse or guest
- Doorbells with soothing sounds for room entry to prevent knocking
- A new nursery with a “knee wall” to make it easier for young brothers and sisters to view their newborn sibling(s)
- Welcoming retreat spaces for family and visitors with TV, coffee, charging stations and other amenities
“From natural, holistic births to deliveries requiring more complex medical care, it’s very reassuring to our moms delivering at Baptist Jacksonville to have immediate access to the resources of one of the top children’s hospitals in the country,” said CC Brooks, vice president of Patient Care Services for Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville and Wolfson Children’s Hospital. “Our clinical teams are passionate about making every mother’s labor and delivery a special experience, and our new maternity suite design is taking that commitment to a whole new level.”
View the site renderings here.