Benefits of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
The surgeon uses a much smaller incision than in conventional (“open”) surgical treatment options, which can reduce the trauma to the muscles and soft tissue of the back and potentially provide the patient with a variety of benefits:
- Better cosmetic results with reduced scar tissue from small incision
- Reduced risk of damage to healthy tissue or infection
- Less post-operative pain and reliance on pain medications
- Minimal blood loss from surgery and reduced need for transfusions
- Faster recovery and rehabilitation time
In addition to reviewing possible benefits with your physician, please make sure you understand possible risks as well.
Spine Anatomy, Conditions and Treatments
While neck or back pain is often muscle-related, it also can be caused by various factors affecting the nerves of the spine. Learn more about the structure of the spine, common causes of pain, symptoms and treatment options.
Mazor Renaissance Robotic Technology
Lyerly neurosurgeons are highly experienced with a wide variety of minimally invasive and reconstructive surgical treatment options, and are often the first to introduce new technologies such as robotic-assisted spine surgery to our region. Learn more about Mazor Renaissance Robotic Technology.