What to ask your doctor about headaches; Migraine - what to ask your doctor; Tension-type headache - what to ask your doctor; Cluster headache - what to ask your doctor
A headache is pain or discomfort in your head, scalp, or neck.
Below are questions you may want to ask your health care provider about your headaches.
How can I tell if the headache I am having is dangerous?
What are the symptoms of a tension-type headache? A migraine headache? A cluster headache?
What medical problems can cause headaches? What tests do I need?
What changes in my lifestyle may help my headaches?
- Are there foods that I should stay away from that may make my headaches worse?
- Are there medicines or conditions in my home or work that may be causing my headaches?
- Will alcohol or smoking make my headaches worse?
- Will exercise help my headaches?
What are the pain medicines that can be used for headaches?
- Will taking too many pain medicines make my headaches worse?
- What are the side effects of these medicines?
- Will any of these medicines make me sleepy or confused?
What should I do when I feel a headache beginning?
- Are there medicines I can take that will stop an oncoming headache?
- What can I do when I have headaches at work?
Are there medicines that I can take that will make my headaches come less often?
What can I do about nausea or vomiting with my headaches?
Are there any herbs or supplements that I can take that will help? How do I know if they are safe?
Digre KB. Headaches and other head pain. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2016:chap 398.
Garza I, Schwedt TJ, Robertson CE, Smith JH. Headache and other craniofacial pain. In: Daroff RB, Jankovic J, Mazziotta JC, Pomeroy SL, eds. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 103.