Ampicillin/sulbactam (By injection)
Ampicillin Sodium (am-pi-SIL-in SOE-dee-um), Sulbactam Sodium (sul-BAK-tam SOE-dee-um)
Treats bacterial infections. This medicine contains a penicillin antibiotic.
Amerinet Choice Ampicillin and Sulbactam, Ampicillin and Sulbactam Novaplus, UnasynThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to ampicillin, sulbactam, or any penicillin antibiotic (such as penicillins or cephalosporins), or you have a history of liver problems caused by ampicillin/sulbactam.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how ampicillin/sulbactam works. Tell your doctor if you are using allopurinol, probenecid, or aminoglycoside antibiotic.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or mononucleosis (mono).
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Liver problems
- Serious skin reactions
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea or nausea
- Pain, swelling, or redness where the injection is given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.