Clotrimazole (Into the mouth)
Treats and helps prevent thrush, a fungus infection in the mouth and throat. This medicine is an antifungal.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to clotrimazole.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Take the medicine for as long as your doctor told you to, even if your symptoms are better. If you stop the medicine too soon, your infection may not be completely cured.
- Let the lozenge melt slowly in your mouth. Do not chew it or swallow it whole.
- Do not give the lozenges to babies or children younger than 3 years old. If your child is taking this medicine, make sure he or she understands how to take the medicine safely.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the lozenges at room temperature away from heat, moisture and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have liver disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or upset stomach, vomiting
- Bad or unusual taste in your mouth
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.