Hyaluronate Sodium (hye-al-ure-ON-ate SOE-dee-um)
Treats pain in your knee joint (osteoarthritis).
Euflexxa, Gel-One, Hyalgan, SupartzThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hyaluronate or if you have any skin disease or infection at the injection site.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine is injected into your knee joint.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Ask your doctor to see if any medicines you are taking might interfere with this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to bird proteins, feathers, or egg products.
- You should not perform stressful, prolonged, or weight-bearing activities such as jogging or tennis within 48 hours of receiving this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning sensation while passing urine.
- Joint pains with or without swelling, pain in your back and legs.
- Pain in upper stomach or diarrhea.
- Fever, severe cough, or flu.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, headache, or dizziness.
- Pain, redness or swelling where the medicine is injected.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.