Iron supplements (By mouth)
Treats low blood iron or anemia by helping your body make red blood cells.
Beef/Iron/Wine, Bifera, BiferaRx, Corvite FE, Duofer, EZFE 200, Enfamil Fer-In-Sol, Family Pharmacy Iron Tablets, Fe-20, Femcon Fe, Femiron, Feosol, Ferate, Fergon, FerosulThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to iron supplements, or if you have a condition called hemachromatosis (iron overload disease) or hemosiderosis (iron in the lungs), or any type of anemia that is not caused by iron deficiency.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule, Coated Tablet, Tablet, Capsule, Chewable Tablet, Liquid, Long Acting Capsule, Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
- It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach, 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Take the medicine with a full glass or water or fruit juice. If the medicine upsets your stomach, you may take it with food.
- The chewable tablet must be chewed or crushed before you swallow it.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- The oral liquid may stain your teeth. These stains can be prevented by mixing the medicine with water or other liquids (such as fruit juice, tomato juice), and drinking the medicine with a straw. To remove any iron stains, brush your teeth with baking soda or peroxide.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine away from children, and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not take iron supplements by mouth if you are also receiving iron injections.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using phenytoin (Dilantin®), acetohydroxamic acid (Lithostat®), or antibiotics such as demeclocycline, doxycycline (Vibramycin®), Cipro®, Levaquin®, minocycline, moxifloxacin (Avelox®), Tequin®, or tetracycline.
- Tell your doctor if you are using antacids (such as Maalox® or Mylanta®).
- Avoid the following foods, or eat them in small amounts at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after taking your iron: eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, tea or coffee, whole-grain cereals, and breads.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have stomach or intestinal problems, an active infection, diabetes, porphyria, or other medical problems.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. Iron may affect the results of certain medical tests.
- Iron can cause your stools to be darker in color. This is normal and is not a cause for concern.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Bloody diarrhea
- Bluish-colored lips, hands, or fingernails
- Chest pain
- Pale or clammy skin
- Severe or continuing stomach cramps, vomiting (with or without blood)
- Shallow breathing, weakness, weak but fast heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, diarrhea, nausea
- Dark-colored urine
- Leg cramps
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.