Mesna (By mouth)
Helps protect the bladder from damage caused by cancer medicines.
MesnexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to mesna.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Drink extra fluids so you will urinate more often and help prevent kidney problems.
- Call your doctor if you vomit within 2 hours after you take this medicine.
- Missed dose: You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a history of allergic reaction to thiol compounds.
- This medicine may cause serious skin reactions.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, fast or uneven heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Red or pink urine
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain
- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting
- Unusual drowsiness or tiredness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.