Potassium nitrate/silver nitrate (On the skin)
Potassium Nitrate (poe-TAS-ee-um NYE-trate), Silver Nitrate (SIL-ver NYE-trate)
Treats small ulcers and wounds and stops nosebleeds or minor bleeding. Also used to remove warts and other small skin growths.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not be treated with this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to silver nitrate or potassium nitrate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine is usually applied by a doctor or other healthcare professional in a clinic or office.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine can cause chemical burns to the skin if it is not used properly.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Redness, pain, swelling, or blisters where the medicine was applied
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.