Triclabendazole (By mouth)
EgatenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to triclabendazole or similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the tablet whole or divide it in half and take it with a glass of water. You may also crush and mix it with applesauce. Take the applesauce mixture within 4 hours.
- To prevent getting infected with this parasite, cook your food properly before eating.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. You may store the applesauce mixture for up to 4 hours.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how triclabendazole works. Tell your doctor if you are using medicine that causes heart rhythm problems.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a history of heart rhythm problems.
- This medicine may cause heart rhythm problems, including QT prolongation.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fainting, lightheadedness, dizziness
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Increased sweating
- Stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.