Having trouble speaking and problems with swallowing are often frustrating and challenging medical conditions. The good news is many people struggling with language, swallowing or speech disorders can benefit from speech therapy.
Baptist Rehab’s licensed speech-language pathologists can help by using the latest evidence-based speech, language and swallowing treatment techniques. Speech, swallowing or language disorders can occur after an illness or injury and may lead to additional health issues and social problems.
We work with you and your family to determine the best treatment options and care plans to improve your quality of life.
Do I Need Speech Therapy?
You or your loved one may need speech therapy if you notice these signs:
- Coughing or choking when drinking or eating
- Difficulty with talking, writing, listening/understanding and reading
- Difficulty with how your voice sounds or projects
- Memory difficulties as it relates to communicating with others
- Speech impairment or slurred speech
What Conditions Do Speech Therapists Treat?
Speech therapists can assist with a variety of speech, language or swallowing disorders, including:
- Swallowing and feeding disorders (dysphagia)
- Communication disorders, such as apraxia, dysarthria, or aphasia resulting from stroke or neurological disorders
- Memory and cognitive disorders
- Vocal pathologies (irregular voice quality, pitch or loudness)
- Cancer and the effects of cancer treatment; including head, neck, brain and lung cancer
What Does Speech Therapy Look Like?
We offer speech, language and swallowing therapy services designed to fit the
individual needs of each patient. Our services include but are not limited to:
- Treatment focusing on the movement and coordination of speech and swallowing muscles
- Utilization of swallowing techniques and diet changes to improve swallow function and safety
- Techniques to improve speech and language impairments
- Training in strategies to improve conversational skills
- Compensatory techniques to improve functional communication
- Augmentative and alternative communication
- Extensive patient and family education
Additional Specialty Services:
- Modified Barium Swallow Study assessment (trained in MBSImP scoring)
- Vital Stim therapy (neuromuscular re-education for swallowing)
- Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing instrumentation (FEES)
- McNeill Dysphagia treatment
- Lee Silverman Voice Therapy (LSVT)